Witchcraft Books for Beginners: My Personal Witchy Reading Shelf
When I first started exploring witchcraft, I had no idea where to begin. So I did what felt natural at the time. I turned to books.
I started slowly collecting titles that caught my attention, learning through curiosity, instinct, and a bit of trial and error. This post is a look at some of the witchcraft books currently on my shelf, what they cover, and who they might be helpful for; especially if you’re just starting out or building your own practice.
Not every book I picked up ended up being a perfect fit for me, and that’s part of the process. Witchcraft isn’t one single path or rulebook. It’s something you build over time, choosing what resonates and letting go of what doesn’t.
If you’re completely new to witchcraft, you may want to start with my beginner guide here: Beginner Witchcraft Guide.
at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products I truly love and use in my magical practice.
Beginner Witchcraft & General Spellbooks
Witchcraft: A Handbook of Magic, Spells and Potions – Anastasia Greywolf
This was one of the first books I ever picked up, and I was immediately drawn to its aesthetic and presentation. It contains a large collection of spells from different traditions and styles.
However, I personally found it didn’t fully match what I was looking for at the time. Many of the spells are more text-based and incantation-focused rather than step-by-step practical rituals with herbs, tools, or setup guidance.
For me, I wanted something more hands-on and grounded in practice, so this book didn’t end up being a strong fit for my personal path. That said, it may still be helpful if you’re someone who enjoys reading and adapting spell ideas rather than following detailed instructions.
The Spell Book for New Witches - Ambrosia Hawthorn
This was one of the earliest books I ordered when I began learning. At the time, I was very worried about doing things “wrong,” and this book helped ease me into exploring different forms of spellwork.
It covers a wide variety of topics including love, career, money, and health, along with practical spell examples. It also introduces different magical tools like spell jars, talismans, amulets, and charms.
What I like most is that it encourages experimentation. Instead of locking you into one method, it gives you a starting point to figure out what feels right in your own practice.
It also touches on basics like moon phases and symbolism, making it a solid beginner-friendly overview.
Herbal & Green Witchcraft Focus
Green Witchcraft - Paige Vanderbeck
This is one of the books I would most recommend if you’re interested in herbal magic, gardening, or nature-based practice.
I’ve always loved growing herbs and working with plants, even if I’m not always the best at keeping everything perfectly maintained. There’s something grounding about stepping into a garden and working with what’s growing there.
This book is packed with information about herbs, plants, and natural correspondences. It also includes example spells, charm bags, and practical uses for plant-based ingredients.
There’s even a section on crystals, which I personally love and always appreciate seeing included.
If you’re drawn to green witchcraft or want to incorporate more plant-based magic into your practice, this is a really solid starting point.
Practical Spellwork & Hands-On Practice
Grimoire for the Green Witch - Ann Moura
This is easily one of the most used books in my collection. It’s large, detailed, and packed with information, but what makes it stand out is how well organized it is. It doesn’t feel overwhelming, even though there’s a lot of content.
This book covers a wide range of topics including:
- herbal correspondences
- tea recipes
- numerology
- oils and anointing blends
- seasonal practices
It’s the kind of reference book I find myself returning to again and again whenever I need information or inspiration.
If you want a deep, practical reference guide, this is one of the strongest books I own.
The Jar Spells Compendium - Phoebe Anderson
This book is a smaller but very practical guide focused on spell jars and bottle magic.
It begins with foundational information before moving into structured jar spell recipes. What I really liked about it is how easy it is to navigate, you can quickly find ideas without feeling overwhelmed.
Many of the ingredients used are simple and accessible, which makes it great for beginners or anyone who wants to start practicing without needing a large supply collection.
There is now an updated version called The Witches Bottle Compendium, which appears to expand on similar concepts. You may not be able to find the version of this that I have anymore, but I'm pretty sure this version is even better I'm even considering getting it myself.
Final Thoughts
This little bookshelf has grown with me over time. Some books became staples in my practice, while others helped me clarify what I personally connect with in witchcraft.
If you’re just starting out, I think the most important thing to remember is this: you don’t need every book—you just need the ones that actually support the way you practice.
Take what resonates, leave what doesn’t, and let your path evolve naturally.
If you have any witchcraft books you love, I’m always open to recommendations. My shelves are definitely not done growing yet.
Reading about witchcraft is a great way to begin, but at some point it shifts from learning to actually building your own practice. If you’re ready for that next step, you might like my post on how to build a witchcraft practice that actually fits into your life .
Blessed Be, Rowan ✧✨ SHOP HERE ✨
Find the magical tools, herbs, and supplies I use in my practice. These are all trusted favorites — and some links are affiliate links at no extra cost to you.






Comments
Post a Comment